Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hotel Review: Club Mahindra Associate Resort, Poovar

I visited the Club Mahindra Associate Resort in Poovar in September, 2007. I think it is called the floating palms resort as the cottages are floating on water, but you do not realize it and this fact at least does not add much to the beauty of the resort.

This Poovar Resort is about a 45 minute drive from the Trivandrum Airport. It is advisable that you call a cab from the resort to avoid getting fleeced by the local taximen and also the taxiwallahs from the resort know the way as you need to negotiate your way through some long winding roads and go to a ferry terminal which all taxi drivers will not be able to find unless they know the place well. You can access the resort by a short ferry ride of about 20 minutes which is complimentary.
On arriving at the resort you are given a welcome drink which I did not like much at all – but I think it is a local specialty. I think at the time I visited this resort the relations between the Poovar Resort and Club Mahindra were pretty strained as the reception staff kept deprecating the Club Mahindra brand for various reasons.

However, the room was great with good amenities – not as good as a Club Mahindra Goa Resort or the Coorg Resort but almost 80% there. The resort has antique furnishing and a comfy reclining chair (which could give the lazy boy good competition) and a bed which I found very cushy comfortable. You can venture out straight from the room to the beach and the back waters are just about 20 metres away. I suggest you choose these resort for a simple relaxing weekend – where you want to spend all the time t the resort.

There are water-sports near by and you can try the ringo ride where they make you sit in an inflated rubber hoop and pull you around in a motor boat. It is worth a try but at Rs.600 I found it a bit expensive. You can try going kayaking as well …. that thing Kareena Kapoor and Vivek Oberoi did in Yuva (at least I think it was that). I found the spa on the resort very good and the full body relaxation massage was much better than the usual ones that I get done in Mumbai. The food buffet was average – nothing to write home about.

If you need to move out of the resort to the city or to any other place you will need to take the ferry ride again. I do not think the city has anything much to offer other than some temples and a few jewellery shops if you are really interested in shopping.

One thing I did not like much about the resort was the staff, they were not as friendly as the usual Club Mahindra staff. They were bordering on rude. They refused to accept my Club Mahindra Food vouchers and I got into an ugly spat with them on the issue. While there are some good things about this resort, I would rate it far below the regular Club Mahindra standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment